When it comes to maintaining your roof, it’s important to find experts you can trust. Part of that is having some knowledge of your own. Knowing roofing basics will help you spot roofers who don’t know their stuff. In our last blog, we shared some great questions and answers. We have two more for you today!
What role does felt paper play in my roof?
- Felt paper is placed between the shingles and the roof deck. Originally, it prevented wood sap from ruining the backs of shingles. These days, sap isn’t a problem anymore. However, felt paper is still installed because it serves as a lightweight protective layer .
How do I know my asphalt roof needs to be replaced (before we see water marks on the ceiling)?
- The first thing to check is your roof’s age. Asphalt roofs don’t last much longer than 20 years, and if yours is getting up there, it’s probably due to be replaced. However, young roofs can have troubles, too! In light of that, you should inspect your roof once a year. We recommend you have it professionally inspected, but you can always look at it with a pair of binoculars (don’t get up on it). Red flags are pretty easy to spot. You might see the following:
- Curled, cracked, missing shingles
- Shingles lifting up
- Smooth dark areas on the shingles
- You can also get up into your attic on a sunny day and look for pinpricks of light, especially around your chimney or stack vent. If you spot them, it means the flashing needs to be replaced as soon as possible.
When you need roofers who know roofs inside and out, turn to Authority Roofing. We are proud to be Plano’s roofing experts.